Myths & FAQs
- What are the best ways to learn Cantonese?
- The best way is to get yourself a tutor that you feel can articulate to you clearly. Having a Cantonese environment is also a big plus in practicing it. Of course, use it whenever you can and to different people; no substitute for practice!
- How many tones does Cantonese really have?
- Some say 9 and some say 7. But with a Romanization system, you can actually narrow it down to 6.
- Can I learn Cantonese without knowing how to write the characters?
- Yes, at least conducting simple daily conversations should be no problem. But it’s always fun and helpful to be able to recognize some characters along the road.
About Cantonese Corner
- My job requires me to travel a lot, and often with short notice, should I take private tutoring or group course?
- You should take private tutoring to enjoy flexibility of class scheduling.
- What if I can’t attend your office? Can I have classes in my office instead?
- Yes, our tutors are ready to attend where you request, although a fee based on transport fare and distance is usually charged.
- Is your office open on public holidays? What about a typhoon or rainstorm warning?
- Our center is closed on public holidays, although special arrangement can be made with our tutor. For safety reasons, no class on Typhoon 8 or Black Rainstorm Warning.
- If I’ve taken Cantonese course elsewhere, do I have to start all over again with Cantonese Corner?
- Usually not, although subject to our assessment on your proficiency. We will accommodate our course with what you’ve learned.
Ready to give Cantonese a try? Sign up
for your free trial lesson